Discover the fine art of Italian Espresso. From lattes to cappuccinos, we’ll show you how easy it is to make the perfect espresso and other authentic favorites—no barista required! All you need is the fine taste of Medaglia d’Oro® coffee and your kitchen.
Making the Perfect Espresso
Espresso with a foamy layer known as "schiuma" is made under very high pressure in espresso machines with brass boilers. A simpler approach for enjoying espresso at home the Italian way is with a traditional Italian Moka Steam Pot. Choose a machine to browse our preparation tips.
French Roast Coffee
- Combine 2 tablespoons Medaglia d’Oro coffee and 3 tablespoons regular ground coffee.
- Measure 5 ½ cups cold water.
- Brew in coffeemaker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve with cream and sugar, if desired.
- Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of Medaglia d’Oro coffee and 3 ounces of fresh, cold water for each demitasse cup.
- Brew in any espresso maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve with sugar and a twist of lemon peel, if desired.
- Add 4 to 6 fl oz warm milk to 2 fl oz prepared hot Medaglia d’Oro espresso (do not bring milk to a boil).
- Top with whipped cream, if desired. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
- Heat 1/3 cup milk until hot (do not boil).
- Combine hot milk and 1/3 cup hot brewed Medaglia d’Oro espresso in coffee cup.
- Top with frothed milk or whipped cream. Sprinkle with grated chocolate or ground cinnamon.
Stove Top "Moka" Pot
- Fill the bottom boiler chamber of steam pot with cold water. (Do not exceed water level line.)
- Place metal filter on top; fill with ground espresso, without pressing down.
- Screw on top chamber of steam pot; place on stove over medium heat. As the water begins to boil, steam pot will begin to gurgle. When pot begins to steam, remove pot from stove. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Spoon 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar into coffee cup.
- Prepare brewed espresso. Add 1 to 2 drops espresso to sugar in cup.
- Blend sugar and espresso until sugar begins to dissolve.
- Fill cup with additional espresso and stir.
- Heat 4 to 6 fl oz of milk per serving.
- Prepare brewed espresso; pour into coffee cup, filling cup about half full.
- Add warm milk to espresso.
- Use approximately 2 to 4 fl oz of milk per serving. Once steamed, the milk will triple in volume.
- Steam milk using the frother attachment on your cappuccino machine or a separate steamer, until milk has a nice, thick foam on top.
- Place steamed milk in coffee cup before adding the brewed espresso.
- Pour brewed espresso directly through the center of foam.
Some Traditions Stay Fresh For Generations